Most have us have used one of those shower puffs or “loofahs” before. They’re great for exfoliating your skin, they come in a huge variety of colors, and they hang neatly on your shower hook or water faucet. Convenient, right? It sounds like loofahs are the way to go when it comes to maintaining healthy, glowing skin, right?
Dermatologists tell us that this is not the case at all. In fact, 98 percent of them advise us to throw our loofahs in the garbage as quickly as possible.
Matthew Knight, a dermatologist from the Knight Dermatology Institute wants to explain why loofahs are so unhealthy. Knight explains that they simply collect layers upon layers of dead skin skills, trapped deep inside the puff’s material. Even worse, when you leave your loofah in the shower after using it, bacteria grows like crazy inside of its puffy layers, which leads to the growth of mold and yeast!
You definitely do not want to be scrubbing your body with something that’s infested with bacteria, mold, and yeast. Essentially, the very thing you’re cleaning your body with is a breeding grounds for all kinds of gross stuff. Yuck!
Additionally, using a loofah after shaving can be especially dangerous. All that bacteria seeps into any nicks or cuts you may have, no matter how small, and can cause some major health issues.
If you still refuse to throw out your loofah, scientists warn you to make sure it’s rinsed out extremely thoroughly after every use. Make sure you replace it frequently; never use one for more than a couple of months. They’re cheap, so you’re not going to go broke replacing it even monthly. If you smell even the slightest bad scent coming from your loofah, throw it in the trash right away.
It’s definitely not worth the risk!