Barbara Kline, a mother of two from New York, posted a photo of a mystery object she found in her Vita Coco Coconut Water, and it has the internet freaking out.
Purchased at a local ShopRite, Kline drank nearly all of her favorite beverage before noticing a strange taste.
She says, “I feel absolutely sick to my stomach even talking about it.”
The object, which she described as an “octopus looking thing” caused her to suffer through vomiting and diarrhea for the following week.
Kline comments, “I know there is some type of animal in there. I’ve got a told it look like a mouse, I got told it looks like a squid, I got told it looks like a bunch of things that’s why I would like for somebody to get it tested for me that has more authority than me. All I want is somebody to see it for themselves and understand that this is not right. I understand that products get moldy and products get missed package and sometimes spoil but this is just too much for me.”
After the incident on April 25, Kline posted a picture of the object to Facebook. The post has now been shared over 43,000 times.
She says that the drink wasn’t supposed to expire until July 21 and had been properly refrigerated prior to drinking.
Barbara said in disgust, “It was only when I unknowingly swallowed one of those clumps I realized it tasted awful I started vomiting. The diarrhea honestly just stopped on Friday. I immediately dumped out all the water. I shook it because I heard stuff bouncing around. I opened it with a knife and that’s when I discovered the octopus looking thing. There were four of them all together, maybe five and I swallowed one of them.”
Barbara visited her doctor and had blood tests done. She sent a piece of the mysterious object along with notes from her doctor to the company, Vita Coco.
A spokesman for Vita Coco said: “We take all consumer inquiries and product quality issues very seriously, and as a global brand have protocols to properly investigate quality inquiries. We asked Ms. Kline for the product information for this unit on April 26, 2017 so that we could report the issue to quality control and investigate it further, but only received that information on Friday, May 5, 2017.”